Lars Larson Show: Criminal Alien of the Week Report
August 28, 2014
It has been an interesting last full week in the month of August when it comes to criminal aliens here in the State of Oregon.
This week we put another face to alien crime in the state for your radio listeners.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014 Louis Alfonso Arellano-Arellano, age 47, a resident of Yakima, Washington was arrested by Linn County Sheriff’s Detectives for growing marijuana in rural Linn County, Oregon on private timber land owned by Weyerhaeuser Company Inc.
Sheriff’s Detectives seized 1,874 pot plants from three separate grow sights.
Arellano-Arellano was taken to the Linn County Jail where he was charged with Unlawful Manufacture of Marijuana, Unlawful Possession of Marijuana, Criminal Mischief II, Criminal Trespass II, and Littering in or near waterways.
An interesting element of this story is the fact that Linn County Sheriff’s Department, even after changes made in jail procedures caused by a federal court decision in April that caused Sheriff’s across the state to remove Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers from prisoners, chose in this particular case to reveal to the media that Louis Alfonso Arellano-Arellano had an ICE detainer placed on him by federal immigration agents monitoring jail intakes.
My understanding is in reaction to the federal court decision on immigration detainers most sheriff’s across the state will only hold a foreign national prisoner if ICE issues a warrant for that individual’s arrest, the guy in this drug case must have a federal warrant for his arrest (See link).
Some fast facts:
– On July 1, 2014 the Oregon Department of Corrections (DOC) prison system incarcerated 1,099 criminal aliens (prisoners with immigration detainers); 161 of those alien prisoners (14.65 percent) were serving time for drug crimes;
– The self-declared counties of origin of the 161 criminal aliens serving time for drug crimes in DOC prisons by numbers and percentage per country equated to the following:
– 145 Mexico, 90.1 percent of alien prisoners;
– 3 Guatemala, 1.9 percent of alien prisoners;
– 3 El Salvador, 1.9 percent of alien prisoners;
– 3 Laos, 1.9 percent of alien prisoners;
– 2 Honduras, 1.2 percent of alien prisoners;
– 2 Russia, 1.2 percent of alien prisoners;
– 3 from other unidentified counties, 1.9 percent of alien prisoners.
Lars, the last full week of August and another criminal alien report for Lars Larson Show FM 101.1 radio listeners.