Oppose Senate Bill 833, the Issuing of Oregon Drivers Licenses to Foreign Nationals Illegally in the State
April 11, 2013
Oregon State Senate
Committee on Business and Transportation
900 Court Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Testimony: No on Senate Bill 833, legislation that would grant Oregon Drivers Licenses to foreign nationals illegally in the state.
Honorable Chairman Beyer, Vice-Chairman Star and Committee Members:
My name is David Olen Cross and I am a resident of Salem, Oregon.
I ask the Senate Committee on Business and Transportation to oppose Senate Bill 833, legislation that would grant some form of Oregon Drivers License (ODL) to foreign nationals illegally in the country (illegal aliens).
The issuing of ODLs to some illegal aliens (prior to the passage of Senate Bill 1080 in 2008 that required legal presence to obtain driver license in this state) who have chosen to drive motor vehicles impaired or recklessly has injured or extinguished the lives of far too many Oregonians of various ages and socio-economic classes across our state.
– Kimberly McDaniel, a 23-year old single woman, was killed on July 15, 2006 in Multnomah County by Rosendo Rosales-Corona (SID: 17078498), a Mexican national illegally in the country (Rosales-Corona fled to Mexico and was latter captured in California when he returned to the U.S. to work);
– Judyth Anne Cox, a 66-year old wife, mother of two and grandmother of six, a resident of Newberg, was killed in Yamhill County on December 3, 2007 by Ignacio Merendon-Zerega (SID: 7213917), a Mexican national illegally in the country (Merendon-Zerega had five prior DUIIs, most occurring in Marion County, at the time he killed Mrs. Cox);
– Carma Colleen Smith, a 52-yeare old wife, mother of seven and grandmother of four, a resident of Dayton, was killed in Yamhill County on May 11, 2008 (Mothers Day) by Leonel Zurita-Loeza (SID: 17045856), a Mexican national illegally in the country (Zurita-Loeza was on a diversion for a previous DUII at the time he killed Mrs. Smith);
– Justin Daniel Dougherty, 23-year old single father of one, was killed in Lane County on March 4, 2008 by Mexican national Eduardo Gutierrez-Duarte (SID: 14044953);
– Kay Blaser, a 26-year old mother of one, was killed in Clackamas County on October 12, 2008 by Mexican national Fernando Deanda-Moreno (SID: 17627417);
– Barbara Jean Bier, a 52-year old wife, mother of seven and grandmother of five, was killed in Polk County on November 21, 2008 by Martin Martinez-Aguilar (SID: 17690098);
– Albert Lloyd Rowland, a 53-year old homeless man, was killed in Multnomah County on May 13, 2010 by Alvaro Lugos-Ponce (SID: 18467984);
– John Zupan (founder of Zupan’s Markets), a 66-year old father of two, was killed in Multnomah County on August 30, 2011 by Edy Porfirio Reynoso-Ramirez (SID: 16599221).
Considering the number of Oregonians (there were more victims than I have listed above) who have been maimed or killed by illegal alien drivers, most with driver license issued prior to 2008’s SB1080, it is unconscionable that any state senator or representative would be willing to sponsor or support such irresponsible and dangerous legislation like SB833 under the guise of it being a public safety issue.
Senate Bill 833 is legislation that would once again open up Oregon’s freeways, highways, roads and streets to the slaughter of its citizens.
Chairman Beyer, Vice-Chairman Star and Committee Members, Oregon families have suffered enough carnage and grief at the hands of illegal alien drivers, I ask the members of the Senate Committee on Business and Transportation to oppose SB833 for the real long term public safety of all Oregon residents.
Thank you for hearing and reading my testimony.
David Olen Cross
Sen. Lee Beyer, Chairman,
Sen. Bruce Star, Vice-Chairman,
Sen. Chuck Thomsen,
Sen. Chris Edwards,
Sen. Fred Girod
Sen. Rod Monroe